Borrower’s Agreement & Items Use Policy
- Members must be age 18 or over to borrow items from Swansea Library of Things.
- Prior to borrowing items, all Members must create an online account inclusive of email address and credit / debit card.
- Swansea Library of Things staff are available to assist in explaining operation of items. However, by taking possession of any item, the Member is certifying that he or she is capable of using that item in a safe and proper manner.
- Only the Member is authorised to use Swansea Library of Things’ items. The Member shall not permit the use of items checked out to him or her by any other person unless by the express permission of the Swansea Library of Things.
- Members may be charged for borrowing an item. Method of payment is negotiable. Payment methods include – Online Payment, Credit/Debit Card, or Cash.
- There is no charge for individual membership, but you may make a donation. Organisations, both commercial and not-for-profit groups, may also sign up for free.
- All items borrowed are to be returned to Swansea Library of Things by close of business on their return date. Late fees are calculated as the price to hire for each day overdue, plus 50p per day. If a member wishes to extend a loan, it will only cost the price of the extra days but they must let a member of staff know in advance. Swansea Library of Things reserves the right to limit or refuse a loan extension for any reason.
- Late cancellations (less than 24 hours before collection is due) will be charged at £1 per item, and not showing up to collect items within 48 hours of their scheduled collection will be charged at £1.50 per cancelled items. The charge will be applied to the member balance, which is added onto the cost of a future loan.
- Members may renew each item if (a) the Member contacts Swansea Library of Things by noon on the day that the return date, and (b) no other Member has reserved the item. Swansea Library of Things reserves the right to refuse or limit renewals. Swansea Library of Things will only be liable to you for loss or damage caused by our negligence in failing to tell you about a known fault. We will not be liable for faults of which we are not aware of. Other than this Swansea Library of Things exclude all liability for death or personal injury caused by our negligence or breach of contract. Because we are not a business, the risk to you is greater than if you were paying to hire something or buy it.
- The Member agrees that Swansea Library of Things is not responsible for any manufacturing defects in quality of workmanship or materials inherent in any borrowed items. Each time you take an item out you must check it visually before you take it, and make other checks for any faults that you may be able to identify before using it. The Member agrees that if any borrowed item becomes unsafe or in a state of disrepair, he or she must immediately discontinue use of the item and notify Swansea Library of Things.
- If you are borrowing electrical equipment you must check the visible wires and plug for any damage before use. If you are using the item outside, moving it about, or using it in circumstances where it may encounter water, anything sharp or other electrical wiring, you must use a circuit breaker.
- All items are to be returned in the same (or better) condition as they were issued, barring normal wear and tear. All items must be returned clean. Swansea Library of Things may charge, or retain the deposit in respect of any loss of, cleaning requirement of or damage to any item and the Member further agrees to accept the Swansea Library of Things’ assessment of condition of items and on return engage in discussion of fair restitution for damage, dirtiness, delinquency, and/or loss of items. Swansea Library of Things reserves the right to refuse the loan of any item at its discretion.
- If Swansea Library of Things is not the owner of the item and only facilitates contact between you and the Owner, Swansea Library of Things accepts no liability for the condition of any item or any loss or damage resulting from your use of it.
- Members will not borrow the items to do professional work where you are charging a fee to a third party. You will not be insured for this activity, and risk your membership being terminated.
- Members understand that you are insured to use the item that you have borrowed – but that nobody else is insured to use that item. If anyone else uses the item you have borrowed, that person is not insured for any damage to their person or their property. For example, if you are hosting an event using an item borrowed from Swansea Library of Things, you will need your own public liability insurance.
- If you borrow an item and with our agreement pass it on to another Borrower before it is returned to us and booked in, you remain liable to us for the return and condition of the object until it is returned to us. If you collect an item from another Borrower with our agreement that will also be on the terms of this Agreement.
- You affirm that the information that you have provided on the Membership Application is current, true, and correct. You understand that this information may be subject to verification and agree to inform us of any changes to the information you have provided before borrowing from the Swansea Library of Things.
- You further state that you have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of Swansea Library of Things, and you understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of your borrowing privileges and/or legal action against you. You have read the Waiver and Indemnification form below, relinquishing all claims against Swansea Library of Things.
The items in our collection are for the use of Swansea Library of Things members. Out of respect for future users, please take care of the items you borrow and report any damage to Swansea Library of Things immediately. Though borrowers are responsible for damage that they have caused, we promise not to be angry.
Your Statements – READ THIS CAREFULLY EVERY TIME YOU BORROW ANYTHING
- I am capable and experienced in using the items I am borrowing, and that I will use the items I am borrowing in a proper manner. I am aware that Swansea Library of Things, its partners, directors, officers, members, and employees claim no expertise and make no representation concerning the fitness of any item for any particular use.
- I, do hereby for myself, on behalf of my successors and assigns, waive any and all claims against Swansea Library of Things, its officers, agents, and employees for any injury or injuries of any nature that I may suffer or incur in the use of the item that I am borrowing from Swansea Library of Things except those caused by a defect known to Swansea Library of Things and not made known to me.
- I agree to release and indemnify and hold harmless Swansea Library of Things, its officers, agents, and employees from any and all liability, loss, claims, and demands, actions, or causes of action for the death or injury to any persons and for any property damage suffered or incurred by any person which arises or may arise or be occasioned in any way from the use of items I am borrowing from the Swansea Library of Things.
- I have read and fully understand the rules and regulations of Swansea Library of Things and I understand that failure to comply with any of these rules may result in revocation of my borrowing privileges and/or legal action against me.